Here are some of the things you can do to help our environment. We hope this list inspires you, your family and friends to take action, because our combined efforts can—and do—make a difference.
- Choose eco-friendly seafood.
- Buy local and organic produce, coffee and other household products.
- Drive smart—whenever possible, choose to walk, bike or take public transportation.
- Drive a fuel-efficient, low-polluting car.
- Install energy-saving thermostats in your home.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs and appliances.
- Eliminate lawn pesticides and choose native plants for your garden.
- Stay well informed and vote with the environment in mind.
- Use your consumer power—learn about the environmental practices of companies you buy from.
- Inspire your friends and family to also take action.
For more information, visit:
- www.neaq.org/fotm Find “Fish of the Month” recipes using eco-friendly seafood.
- www.ucsusa.org/publications Discover more environmental actions in The Consumer’s Guide to Effective Environmental Choices.
- www.newdream.org Record your actions and see the impact.
- www.seastheday.org Sign up for The Ocean Project’s monthly newsletter on ocean action.
- www.energystar.gov Save energy and money by choosing energy-efficient appliances, lights, heating and cooling systems and office equipment.